This section has information about claims that is of specific interest to people affected by the Canterbury earthquakes.
Check the main menu tabs for general information about:
- EQC insurance – who's covered, what's covered, how it works
- Claims – who can make a claim, how to make a claim, what happens after you make a claim.
Phone 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).
Our Call Centre is open:
- 7am-9pm Monday–Friday
- 8am-6pm Saturday.
Meet with a customer service consultant
Come in and talk to a customer service consultant in our Community Contact Team if you need help understanding your claim – or simply have questions or issues you’d like resolved.
To make an appointment and find out where to go, call 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).
How to make a claim
Use the online form
Phone: 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243)
Overseas: +64 4 978 6400
Tips for making a claim
- Put in a new claim for each event that causes damage to your property.
Recent events lists quakes and aftershocks that have been classified as new events.
- The same claim can cover damage to your home, contents and land.
- If you're making a contents claim, you need to send in additional documentation about damaged items.
What you need to send in.
- You must make your claim within 3 months of the date of the event that caused the damage.
Deadlines for recent events.
- Make your claim as early as possible – if there's more damage later (eg, from aftershocks) then you can make a further claim.
- Also let us know as soon as possible if you find extra damage after you've sent in your claim.