Kaikoura - lodge your claim by 14 February deadline

EQC provides natural disaster insurance for residential homes (usually up to $100,000 + GST), contents (usually up to $20,000 + GST) and a defined area of residential land. It’s called EQCover. If you insure your home and/or contents with a private insurer, and the policy includes fire insurance (most do), you automatically have EQCover.

Upcoming events

EQC, insurance companies and geotechnical engineers Tonkin + Taylor will give an update on their work and answer questions on land, building and contents claims.

Join us at one of our forums

  • Ward Community Hall Tuesday         31    Jan 6pm to 7.30pm
  • Waiau Community Hall Wednesday  01    Feb 6pm to 7.30pm
  • Kaikoura Memorial Hall Thursday     02    Feb 1pm to 2.30pm and 6pm to 7.30pm


Make a claim

If your property was damaged during the Kaikoura Earthquakes, you need to make your claim by midnight 14 February. You can lodge your claim with your private insurer or with us. 

To lodge your claim with EQC:

  • call our Contact Centre on 0800 DAMAGE (326 243). Open 7am-9pm from Mon-Fri and 8am-6pm on Saturdays
  • complete our online form.
  • send us an email at info@eqc.govt.nz

If your claim is for earthquake damage to your home and/or contents, we will pass your claim on to your private insurer to assess and settle. EQC will assess and settle all land damage claims as these are not usually covered by private insurance policies. This approach is different to how we have handled claims for earthquake damage in the past. 

Read our Memorandum of Understanding Relating to Kaikoura Earthquake Claims Management

EQC Guide


Land damage

EQC covers the land that the house sits on, as well as land within eight metres of the house. Land within 60 metres of the house that is part of, or supports the main access to the house from the boundary is also covered.  

Find out more about land and what we cover

EQC Guide

  • If you own a farm or rural property which has been damaged following a natural disaster, read our guide Damage to your farm - what EQC covers. It explains what EQC covers and doesn't cover, and sets out specific issues to be aware of.


Urgent repairs

If your home is badly damaged and you need repairs urgently to make it safe, sanitary and secure, there may be some things you can do straightaway or you may need to bring in a contractor. Remember to take photos before you do any work, and keep records of work you pay for.

EQC Guides


Support available

Government Helpline

You can call the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 from 7am - 9pm, seven days a week if you:

  • are struggling to support yourself or your family
  • would like more information about how Work and Income can help.

Find out more about support available to individuals and businesses.

Temporary accommodation

If your house is so badly damaged you cannot stay in it, your private insurer is the best person to talk to. It’s a good idea to read your policy to find out what you may be entitled to.

The Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) are working together to help displaced people find suitable temporary accommodation:

  • Call 0800 673 227
  • Visit www.temporaryaccommodation.mbie.govt.nz
  • Email temp.accom@mbie.govt.nz

EQC Guide

Earthquake Support Line

It’s completely normal for you and your family to be emotionally and physically drained by the earthquakes. For counselling support, call the Earthquake Support Line on 0800 777 846.

Other useful websites

ACC Claims
Citizens Advice Bureau
Get ready/Get thru
Inland Revenue
Red Cross


EQC guides

Urgent repairs

(PDF, 8 Dec 2016)

  • What to do first
  • If you need help
  • Other support

Chimney repairs

(PDF, 8 Dec 2016)

  • Making your chimney safe
  • Keeping records of work
  • Other support

Temporary accommodation

(PDF, 8 Dec 2016)

  • When you need to leave home
  • Key points to be aware of
  • Other support

Kaikoura Earthquake

(PDF, 22 Nov 2016)

  • Make your home safe first
  • Earthquake Commission claims
  • Lodging a claim
  • Am I covered by EQC?

Translated material: