Skip navigation

Insuring your property

You may have more difficulty getting insurance cover if your property has been identified as at risk from a natural hazard.

To qualify for EQCover for land damage you need to have a current private insurance policy for your home that includes fire insurance (most do).

EQCover for land is generally the land within your property boundary including land under your home and outbuildings, land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings and the land under or supporting your accessway, up to 60 metres from your home.

In general, private insurers do not cover land damage from a natural disaster (although they may cover some aspects of your property, such as driveway surfaces and some retaining walls depending on the terms of the policy).

Our Land page explains EQCover for land damage in more detail.