You are here

Buying or selling a home, or just transferring an EQC claim?

If you’re considering buying or selling a home, finding out about earthquake repairs should be part of due diligence. We recommend getting legal advice before making any commitments.

Getting information about EQC claims

Before buying or selling, the interested parties want to see EQC documents related to the property regarding its assessment for earthquake damage, and the status of repairs.

To avoid delays in a request for documents, a vendor (property owner) can get EQC documents before putting their home on the market. You just need to email EQC with the request and your claim number. See our contact us page for details.

If you are looking at purchasing a property in Canterbury, and you want to find out if there has been an EQC claim for land or building damage from the Canterbury earthquake sequence, head to Click onto the Property Search section and use the address to find if there are any EQC claims listed. 

If you are interested in purchasing a home you can ask your lawyer or estate agent to request documents from the property owner or apply to EQC to obtain property-related information about any previous claims for damage on that property. Providing this information can take up to 20 working days. Apply using our Official Information Act request form.

You can read more about the documents we provide on our OIA document lists page.

Transferring the benefit of an EQC claim

For the benefit of an EQC claim (for example, if the claim has not yet been settled or further related damage is identified) to be passed to a buyer, the claim needs to be transferred to them. This process is called ‘assignment’.

Once assignment has been agreed, you just need to let us know, and supply us with relevant documentation recording that assignment. You can get further information on this by phoning 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).

The most commonly used documentation is a Deed of Assignment (DOA) – but any document can be used as long as it is clear about what is being assigned and signed by all parties. Your lawyer can provide advice on this.

Deed of Assignment

The process of transferring the benefit of a claim is called ‘assignment’. The most commonly used documentation for this is a Deed of Assignment – but any document can be used as long as it is clear about what is being assigned.

On-sold over-cap claims

If you are buying or selling a property and there is an outstanding claim or damage, it is important to be clear about whether the private insurer at the time of the natural disaster will accept any liability for further costs if a property goes over-cap after it is sold. These properties are commonly referred to as on-sold over-cap properties.

On 15 August 2019 the Government announced a policy that allows owners of on-sold over-cap properties in Canterbury to apply for an ex gratia Government payment to have their homes repaired.  

If you’ve bought a home in Canterbury and discovered that it is damaged over the EQC cap, you may be eligible for an ex gratia payment to cover the cost of repair. 

Find out more about the new policy for on-sold over-cap properties and register your interest for the ex gratia payment.

Important issues for purchasers

If you’re the purchaser, you need to be aware of the following important issues:

  • EQC receives a range of different Deeds of Assignment, which often lack clarity about what is being assigned. This can prevent or slow down settlement. Customers may need to get a new or amended Deed of Assignment, which can be difficult and time consuming particularly where the vendor has moved overseas or cannot be contacted. It is therefore important to make sure your Deed of Assignment is very clear and all claim numbers are included.

  • The fact a claim has been lodged does not necessarily mean the claim is valid or that EQC will be able to accept it. An issue with the validity of a claim might not arise or be identified until well after a claim is lodged. Because of this, we recommend you seek legal advice when purchasing a property that is subject to an EQC claim.

  • What is assigned will depend both on what the Deed of Assignment says and on any relevant provisions in the private insurance policy. We recommend you seek legal advice and speak with your private insurer and mortgagee.   

  • Where an EQC claim is assigned, the assignee (the person receiving the benefit of the claim, for example a purchaser) will have the same entitlement(s) under the Earthquake Commission Act as the original owner. That means they will receive any remaining entitlement up to EQC’s cap for an event.

  • However, where the related private insurance claim can be assigned, the assignee may not have the same entitlement as the original owner, or any entitlement from the private insurer at all. When the parties have a Deed of Assignment drawn up, it’s important to find out from the private insurer what, if any, insurance entitlement the assignee would receive.  

  • EQC is limited in its ability to disclose information about a claim to you without the original claimant’s consent. If you want information about a claim before you purchase the property, you will need to discuss this with the claimant. If you want information after you’ve purchased a property, you will need to have obtained a Deed of Assignment (or similar document).

  • It can be useful to include a clause in your Deed of Assignment requiring the vendor to assist in the completion of a claim. Discuss this with your lawyer.

  • EQC claims are subject to excess. EQC will deduct the excess amount due on the claim from any cash settlement it makes to the purchaser as a result of the Deed of Assignment. If the property is repaired by EQC under the Canterbury Home Repair Programme (CHRP), EQC will invoice the purchaser for the excess amount if they own the property when the repairs are completed. The assignment of the claim can only include the benefits and not burdens, so an agreement in the Deed of Assignment on who will pay any excess will not change who EQC invoices. 

    Questions and answers: Transferring a property claim

    CHRP excess

To make sure your Deed of Assignment is clear for EQC to apply, it should include:



Full names of all the current owner(s) and all the new owner(s).


The signatures of all Assignors, and Assignees must be included and witnessed. Where a party is a company the Deed of Assignment must be signed in accordance with the relevant legal requirements.

The Property:

Address of the property being sold.


The date of the agreement, and the date at which the assignment takes effect.

Claim Numbers:

CLM 20xx/xxxxxx

This is an area where many Deeds of Assignment are not sufficiently clear. This causes considerable delays and sometimes prevents settlement.

There must be a clear description of which claims are being assigned:

  • If all claims for that property are being assigned, then state this. Do not just list one claim number.
  • If only particular claims are being assigned, then be very clear about which claim numbers.
  • If the building part of a claim is being retained by the vendor, but the land part of a claim is to be assigned to the purchaser, be very clear about this.
  • If any element of a personal property (contents) claim is being assigned, this must be specified (for example, carpets and drapes).

Note that there is a separate claim number for each claim lodged with EQC. If a claimant made claims for damage from the 4 September 2010, 22 February 2011, 13 June 2011, and 23 December 2011 events, there will be four separate claim numbers. If you are the vendor and want to confirm what claim numbers exist for your property, please phone EQC on 0800 DAMAGE to check.

Contact Details:

Include contact details for the purchaser so EQC knows how to contact them to arrange settlement.

Name of Insured:

If the name of the original claimant and the name on the insurance policy are different, the reason for this must be recorded. For example, if the original claimants owned the property under a trust and insured the property in the name of the trust, the Deed of Assignment should record this fact to avoid confusion.

Information Sharing:

Once a person has had the benefit of a claim assigned to them, EQC will generally be able to provide that person with information about the claim including details about property damage.

Sometimes an earlier EQC claim will have already been settled with the vendor, and so will not be included in the assignment. If the purchaser wants to receive information about earlier claims (for example, what damage was claimed for), they should include a clause in the Deed of Assignment stating that the vendor agrees to that information being provided to the purchaser.

Where to send the documentation:

A copy of the Deed of Assignment (or other documentation) should be sent to:

EQC Claims
PO Box 311
Wellington 6140.

Alternatively, you can email a copy (in PDF format), to


“VENDOR, ASSIGNOR, and ORIGINAL CLAIMANT” and “PURCHASER and ASSIGNEE” will usually be the same person, but the particular terms are used above to reflect the fact that they can be different people, as explained below.


The registered proprietor who is selling the property.


The person who is purchasing the property


The person who is assigning their interest in the claim. For EQC to settle the claim with the purchaser, everyone with an insurable interest in the claim needs to assign their rights in the claim to the purchaser. Usually this will just be the vendors, but in some cases there may be other people who need to approve this.


The person receiving the benefit of the claim.

Original claimant

The person who lodged the claim with EQC. Sometimes the property will have been sold more than once since the claim was lodged.

*Note that there are other times when the benefit of a claim might be transferred including where a relationship breaks up, or where a person has died. You can get further information from us on this by phoning 0800 DAMAGE

Find out more

Page last updated: