Carpets and drapes

The information provided on this webpage is specific to the Canterbury events and in accordance with the detailed provisions of the Earthquake Commission (EQC) Act 1993 current at the time.

In February 2019 the EQC Act changed. Find out about the changes on our Act changes page.

Here you can get answers to common questions about carpets and drapes.

The following information is general guidance only – please talk to EQC for specific advice about your situation.

If you are claiming for Carpets and/or Drapes, what information or proof of loss does EQC need to settle your claim?

  • Photos of all damaged carpet with a clear indication of which rooms the photos relate to, and an explanation of how the damage occurred and what steps were taken, if any, to mitigate the damage or;
  • An inspection report from a professional cleaner indicating that the carpets/drapes were beyond economical repair.

Should carpets and drapes be listed under “contents” or “home”?

EQC follows the approach taken by your private insurance company.

  • If your private insurer covers carpets and drapes under a contents policy, then EQC will treat carpets and drapes as part of a “personal property” (contents) claim.
  • If your private insurer covers carpets and drapes under a dwelling policy, then EQC will treat carpets and drapes as part of a “residential building” (house/dwelling) claim.

Common questions about carpets and drapes in properties awaiting demolition

How do I know if I am awaiting Demolition?

Your private insurer will inform you about the status of your property and your claims. 

Is a demolition certificate required?

If the residential building has not yet been demolished (so you cannot provide a demolition certificate) but you or your private insurer (depending on who is managing the demolition and rebuild) have entered into a contract with a demolition contractor you can provide EQC with a copy of that contract and this will enable EQC to progress the settlement of your carpets and drapes claim.

When can I expect to receive news about my Demolition?

It is up to your private insurer to confirm the intent to demolish and to schedule your upcoming demolition.

When can customers expect a settlement and payment of their claims?

EQC will review carpets and drapes claims within one month of receiving the required information around intention to demolish. If all required information is to hand and the claim is eligible, payment will then be made.

What about carpets and drapes in Red Zone properties?

Generally, EQC will pay for repairing or replacing your carpets and drapes (subject to the EQC limits) if your home is in the Red Zone and the following apply:

  • your carpets or drapes were damaged by the earthquake. In which case proof of loss will be required.Where proof of loss cannot be appropriately obtained, a completed statutory declaration will be required to settle carpets and/or drapes.
  • your house was so badly damaged as a direct result of the earthquake that your insurer advised that your house has been (or will be) demolished (even if the carpets and drapes themselves aren’t damaged). (Note that this doesn't include the situation where the house is repairable but CERA will demolish the house as part of its Red Zone policy).

How much will EQC pay for carpets and drapes?

Where a site measured quote is provided, EQC will pay the quoted amount.

Where there is no appropriate quote provided. The following will be applied;

  • carpet payments will be calculated at $80 per square metre
  • window coverings replacement will be calculated at a total of $500 per window (not per window covering).

In cases where the entire home is being replaced, EQC will calculate that 85% of the home is carpeted, and that there is one window per 9.3 square metres.

Contact us if you have any questions

There are many scenarios that can affect claims for carpets and drapes.

Our Call Centre has detailed information and can talk to you about your individual situation. They’ll also be able to tell you what information you should send in.

Page last updated: