Skip navigation

How to make a complaint to Toka Tū Ake EQC

New Zealanders rely on us to provide efficient claims management in the aftermath of a natural disaster. While we strive to make the process as easy as possible and support you where we can, we also appreciate that things don’t always go according to plan, especially during the challenging circumstances of a natural disaster. 

If you have a complaint about the service you have received from Toka Tū Ake EQC, please let us know so we can help you sort it out. We have outlined our complaints' process below. 

If you would like to report dishonesty, please phone 0800 DAMAGE (326 243) or use Toka Tū Ake EQC's online allegation form.

Or, please use this complaints form to make a Toka Tū Ake EQC related complaint. 

how to make a complaint

Let us know about your concerns

There are a number of ways you can contact us to tell us about your concerns.

  1. call 0800 DAMAGE (326 243) (from within New Zealand) 
  2. email 
  3. use our online complaints form 
  4. write to:  EQCover Claims

                  PO Box 311                                                               Wellington 6140  

You can also lodge a complaint directly with the EQC representative handling your claim.  

Investigation and resolution

The person assigned to investigate your complaint will contact you within five working days to acknowledge the complaint and gather more information.

Our aim is to investigate and resolve your complaint within two months, however if this is not possible, we will update you with our progress within this timeframe.  

We will continue to keep you regularly updated throughout the process.  

The outcome of the investigation will be discussed with you and confirmed in writing. 

If you are unhappy with the resolution

If you are unhappy with the resolution of your complaint, you can ask for it to be reviewed by a manager.

They will acknowledge this request within five working days and will carry out a review of your concerns.  

Claim managed by an insurer partner

If your complaint relates to your claim being managed by your private insurer, acting as Toka Tū Ake EQC's agent, then in the first instance it will be managed through your insurer’s complaint process. If you haven’t already, you should contact them directly. 

All of our insurer partners are members of the Insurance Council of NZ (ICNZ) and adhere to the Fair Insurance Code. While each insurer has their own complaints' resolution process, there is a requirement when managing EQCover claims for the process to be: 

  • Customer-centric 
  • Simple and easy to follow 
  • Clearly communicated
  • Accessible, fair, accountable, efficient and effective 

Further information on the Fair Insurance Code can be found at link)

You can also read about making a complaint on the ICNZ website(external link)

If you are unhappy with the management or resolution of your complaint, there are other options available to you, these include: 

  1. The Office of the Ombudsman is and will be available to you throughout your EQCover claims' journey. 
  2. Depending on the type of complaint and the private insurer, the external dispute resolution provider will either be the Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman (IFSO) or Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL). Read more about this here(external link)

Other options

There are free services that provide impartial advice to help homeowners settle their unresolved natural disaster claims.

The overall aim is to help homeowners, particularly those with complex claims or in dispute, through to claim resolution so they can move forward with confidence. 

Learn more about the Independent Support Agencies.

Office of the Ombudsman 

If you have made a complaint to Toka Tū Ake EQC and you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint investigation, you may wish to raise your concerns with the Office of the Ombudsman(external link)

You can contact the Ombudsman by:  

Phone: 0800 802 602 
Writing to: 
The Office of the Ombudsman 
PO Box 10152 

The Ombudsman will ask you if you have first tried to resolve your issue with us directly. They will look into your complaint and may make a recommendation to us regarding the issue you have raised.