You are here

EQC advice to homeowners affected by heavy rain

EQC advice to homeowners affected by heavy rain

Homeowners whose properties have been damaged by the storms that crossed parts of the country this week are encouraged to get in contact with the Earthquake Commission.

Head of Response and Recovery, Robyn Nation, says that although the heavy rain may have unfortunately affected some properties more than others, anyone who has suffered land damage should contact EQC about lodging a claim.

“The West Coast has been hit particularly hard by this storm and other areas of the country could be affected as well. The main priority following any storm event is the welfare of your family, neighbours and friends and making sure that they are safe and your homes are secure.

“The next step is talk to us and our team will be able to help you lodge a claim and explain the support that EQC can provide throughout the claim process. Each claim is individually assessed, and depending on the type and extent of damage, this may involve a geotechnical engineer visiting a property.”

Mrs Nation says that it is likely that New Zealand will experience more storm events as winter approaches and EQC is ready to help all homeowners who are affected either by this storm or any others that follow.

“As we head into winter, residents across the country should check the weather forecasts and make sure that your home is secured and weather tight to reduce the risk of damage occurring.”

“It is important that New Zealanders are prepared, if however if any homeowners suffer damage to their property they should contact EQC as soon as possible. Our team can then work with you to understand your situation and the scope of your damage, and how we can help you with your claim.”

Background Information

EQC covers storm and flood damage to residential land only, with home and contents damage covered by private insurance according to the terms of an individual’s policy. 

EQC coverage of land is limited to land that is within your land holding – and includes:

  • land under your home and outbuildings (e.g., shed or garage)
  • land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • Land under or supporting your main access way, up to 60 metres from your home (not driveway surfacing).

EQC land cover includes:

  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect your home, outbuildings or insured land
  • The removal of debris, such as silt or fallen trees, from the insured land (not replacement of items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways).

The timeframe for lodging a claim is up to two years under the recent changes to the Earthquake Commission Act. EQC has more specific and detailed information on what it covers on its website - Claims can be lodged online at, via email on, or by calling 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243). The EQC call centre is open 7am to 9pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 6pm on Saturdays.

EQC Media: David Miller - 027 406 3476,

Page last updated: