You are here

EQC completes settlements for the Dunedin landslip claims

The Earthquake Commission has settled the Dunedin landslip claims that were lodged by homeowners in St Clair.

Head of Response and Recovery Robyn Nation says that EQC’s team met the homeowners on Tuesday 12 March to discuss the settlements.

“We have worked closely with homeowners and the Dunedin City Council throughout this process to keep them updated on our progress and to explain how the EQC entitlements are calculated.

“Our team has finished all of the assessments, valuations and scope of works for each individual property and the settlements have now been made.”

Mrs Nation says that EQC has cash settled the claims and each homeowner will be responsible for arranging the necessary remediation work to their property.

“Along with settling the claims, we have provided local residents and the Council with all of our engineering reports and data so they can make informed decisions around options for repairing or securing the land. Even though EQC’s work is finished, it is important that we are able to provide all the information and support we can to help the homeowners move forward.”

What does EQC cover for landslips?

With landslips, EQC covers natural disaster damage to residential land with a property boundary, and includes:

  • The land under a home or outbuildings (e.g. garage or sheds);
  • The land within 8 metres of a home or outbuildings;
  • The land under or supporting the main access way, up to 60 metres from a dwelling, but not the driveway surfacing.

EQCover for land damage also extends to the following:

  • Bridges and culverts within the above areas, and
  • Some retaining walls and their support systems necessary for the support or protection of a home or insured land including the main access way within 60 metres of a house.

How much can EQC pay out?

EQCover pays the lesser of either:

  • The cost to repair the damaged land, or
  • The value of the damaged land, or the value of 4,000 square metres, or the value of the minimum-sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the lower.

Page last updated: