You are here

Last day to lodge claims with EQC

Media release

Tomorrow marks the last day for earthquake claims to be lodged with the Earthquake Commission (EQC) and three months since the magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit Canterbury at 4.35am on 4 September 2010.

At midday today (3 December), more than 151,000 claims had been lodged with EQC.

Since the earthquake, EQC assessors have visited or contacted more than 52,000 property owners. More than 15,500 claims have been settled.

EQC released the Tonkin & Taylor Stage 2 report on land damage this week, showing the suburbs and areas most affected by land damage are Burwood, Avondale, Avonside, Dallington, Richmond, Wainoni, Bexley, Brooklands, Spencerville, Kaiapoi, Kairaki and Pines Beach.

This report found that about 3300 properties fall into Zone C. This zone covers the areas most affected by land damage and will require wide-scale coordinated land repair, or additional protection work such as underground retaining walls before any rebuilding can take place.

As Canterbury enters the recovery phase, the size of the assessment and repair mission should not be underestimated, Earthquake Commission Chief Executive Ian Simpson said today.

"The work required to repair the most seriously land-damaged areas of Canterbury is unprecedented in New Zealand history," Mr Simpson said.

"This is easily New Zealand's biggest natural disaster recovery project for 80 years, since the 1931 Napier earthquake. The Insurance Council has reported it is the largest single insurance event in New Zealand's history.

"It is critical for people to lodge claims today before the cut-off for lodging claims with EQC of midnight, Saturday 4 December 2010," he said.

For more information

Customers:

  • Use the online form to contact EQC, or
  • Phone 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).

Media:

Page last updated: