You are here

Update on EQC’s response to Dunedin landslip

Dunedin residents whose properties have been affected by the landslip have been contacted again this week by the Earthquake Commission to update them on the situation regarding their claims.  

Deputy Chief Executive Operations, Paul Jepson, says that EQC has worked closely with Tonkin & Taylor to finalise and review the geotechnical reports.

“Over the past few weeks, our team has been working to get an accurate picture of the damage and the cost of repairing the land. We have carried out a very thorough assessment of the geotechnical data that T&T have provided to us to enable us to determine the settlement for each homeowner.”

Mr Jepson says that EQC has been in contact with the homeowners to say that it expects the engineering report to be available to them next week and to provide a timeline for when they can expect to receive their EQC payment.

“Over the next couple of weeks, we will have our valuations completed and  finalised the settlements for each homeowner. We are aiming to provide these to homeowners by the first week in March.”

Mr Jepson says that EQC is also keeping the Dunedin City Council informed of its progress in managing the claims that it has received. 

“We are working with the Dunedin City Council so they can make an informed decision on whether the slip damage still poses a risk to homeowners and whether the houses are safe to occupy. This is a separate process from EQC’s assessments and homeowners who have been evacuated from their homes due to safety concerns should discuss this issue with the Council.

“We will continue to talk with each of the homeowners and provide them with information and support throughout the claim process.”

Background Information

What does EQC cover for landslips?

With landslips, EQC covers natural disaster damage to residential land with a property boundary, and includes:

  • The land under a home or outbuildings (e.g. garage or sheds);
  • The land within 8 metres of a home or outbuildings;
  • The land under or supporting the main access way, up to 60 metres from a dwelling, but not the driveway surfacing.

EQCover for land damage also extends to the following:

  • Bridges and culverts within the above areas, and
  • Some retaining walls and their support systems necessary for the support or protection of a home or insured land including the main access way within 60 metres of a house.

How much can EQC pay out?

EQCover pays the lesser of either:

  • The cost to repair the damaged land, or

The value of the damaged land, or the value of 4,000 square metres, or the value of the minimum-sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the lower.

Page last updated: