Auckland - Coromandel floods

Man looks at a landslip with houses close to the edge.
Claim Status: 
Date of event: 
Event type: 
Claim deadline: 
You are here

From 7-12 March, the Upper North Island (particularly the Coromandel and Auckland) experienced large amounts of rain resulting in flooding. An event has been established to manage the expected claims from landslip damage. 

You have up to three months from the date of the natural disaster damage to lodge a claim. For example, if your property suffered landslip damage on 12 March, you have until 12 June to lodge your claim. 

You can make a claim by calling 0800 326 243 or complete the form here

Who is covered?

You must have a home or contents fire insurance policy with a private insurance company at the time the natural disaster damage occurred to make a claim with EQC.  Customers with home insurance will also receive EQC cover for certain land damage.

What EQC covers depends on how the damage occurred:
•    For storms and floods, EQC covers damage to residential land only, within certain limits (Private insurers cover house and contents damage, according to the terms of an individual’s policy). 
•    For natural landslip damage, EQC covers damage to home, contents and land, within certain limits.

What is covered?

EQC coverage of land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:
•    land under your home and outbuildings (eg, shed or garage)
•    land within eight (8) metres of your home and outbuildings
•    land under or supporting your main accessway, up to 60 metres from your home (but not the driveway surfacing).
EQC also provides some cover for:
•    bridges and culverts within the above areas
•    some retaining walls that are necessary to support the home, outbuildings or insured land.

For landslip damage, your building is generally insured by EQC up to a maximum of $100,000 +GST and is covered on a replacement value basis. 

For more information on what is and isn’t covered read our land cover page.

What’s not covered?

EQC doesn’t cover certain items on the land such as trees, plants, lawns and driveways. 
However, EQC does cover the removal of debris from your insured land, such as fallen trees.

How much can EQC pay out?

EQC land cover is usually capped at the dollar value of the area of insured land that has been lost or damaged (or will imminently be) as a direct result of the natural disaster.

Where the area of damage is large enough, that value will instead be calculated using whichever of these is the smaller:
•    the minimum allowable lot size under the council’s district plan
•    an area of 4,000 square metres. 

It is also important to note that bridges, culverts, and retaining walls that support the home or insured land are covered for indemnity value. This means the valuation takes into account their age and state of repair.

To lodge a claim complete the form here.