Storm | Northland

Claim Status: 
Date of event: 
Event type: 
Claim deadline: 
You are here

EQC urges Northland homeowners with storm damage to lodge claims

14 July 2014

Northland homeowners who were insured and suffered damage to their land from storms in the last week, should lodge their claim with the Earthquake Commission (EQC).

Fifteen claims have been received by EQC from Northland in relation to the recent storms. For storms, EQC covers damage to land only, as the private insurer covers house and contents damage, according to the terms of the policy. Where there has been landslip damage, however, EQC covers the home, contents and land.

You must have had a fire insurance contract with a private insurance company on the residential building at the time of the event to make a claim.

Homeowners can claim on line at or call 0800 DAMAGE (326 243). EQC covers natural disaster damage to homes (up to $100,000 + GST), contents (up to $20,000 + GST) and a defined area of residential land within your property boundary. Visit for more detailed information on land.

If people need to take action to make their home safe, sanitary, secure and weather-tight, they should also record the work done, take photographs where appropriate, and keep a copy of any bills paid. Reimbursement for temporary or urgent repairs is subject to EQC acceptance of a valid claim.

Homeowner security

EQC staff will always carry photo identification, and will usually call ahead to arrange an assessment of your property.

Further information:

EQC cellphone 029 978 6430;

More information for homeowners