You are here

Contents cover

'Contents' means personal property that is usually in your home. It includes contents that are temporarily removed from your home.

EQCover generally includes home contents where policies were taken out or renewed before 1 July 2019, and have not yet reached their annual anniversary.

EQCover home contents is being phased out between now and 1 July 2020.  

If your contents insurance policy has renewed after 1 July 2019, you are unlikely to be able to claim for contents from EQC.

How EQCover works for contents

Under EQCover, your contents are insured on the same basis as they are under your fire insurance policy with your private insurer.

So, if your contents are insured against fire on a replacement basis, EQCover will also be on a replacement basis. If they're insured on a less favourable basis than replacement value, then EQCover will be on the same basis.

How much can be paid out

EQCover for contents is the lesser of:

  • the amount for which your contents are insured against fire, or
  • $20,000 (+ GST).

If your loss is greater than the maximum EQCover available, you need to approach your private insurer to discuss your claim.


  • The EQC excess for a contents-only claim is $200.
  • Where a person is claiming for damage to their home and contents from a single event, there is a combined minimum excess of $200 (multiplied by the number of homes in the building) or 1% – whichever is greater.

What isn't included

EQCover doesn’t cover contents used for commercial purposes, or contents not covered by your private insurance policy.

Items that aren't covered include: motor vehicles, trailers, boats, jewellery, money, works of art, and securities and documents. (See the Householders' Guide to EQCover to find out more.)

Private insurance cover

Your private insurance policy may cover contents that aren’t covered by EQCover: check your policy or contact your private insurance company.

Page last updated: