You are here

EQCover FAQs

Here you can read answers to some common questions about EQCover. If you have a question and it's not answered here, please Contact us.

Please note: Some processes have been varied for people affected by the Canterbury earthquakes. If you’re one of those people, please also see the Canterbury section.

Will EQCover help me protect my property against future natural disasters?

If a natural disaster occurs and damage to your property is imminent, EQCover may be able to help. (However, you must take reasonable steps yourself to prevent further damage to your property.)

Please note that EQC cannot pay for improvements to your property to address conditions that existed before the natural disaster.

If you think EQCover isn't enough for your property, talk to your insurance company – they may be able to assist you with additional cover.

I'm a tenant – can I make a claim under EQCover?

Yes – if you have insurance for your contents then you can claim for any damage to them.

Make sure you let your landlord know if there’s any damage to the property – or worsening of existing damage – as they may need to let EQC know about it.

Does EQCover pay for​ temporary accommodation?

EQCover covers only direct physical damage to your insured property – it doesn't pay for temporary accommodation.

Does EQCover pay for theft from my property, or vandalism, after a natural disaster?

No, EQCover doesn't include ‘consequential’ losses that might occur after a natural disaster – such as theft or vandalism.

I'​ve taken out insurance for my home and there is a 21-day earthquake exclusion period. Does this restrict my cover with EQC?

No – as long as you have a valid fire insurance policy, you have EQCover.

Where can I find out what is and isn’t covered?

See the Householders' Guide to EQCover – it has a detailed list.

View our Insurance Certificate

Page last updated: