You are here


Damaged bridge. Bridges that are within 8m of a house - or 60m if part of the main accessway - are covered.

If your home is covered by EQCover, then some of your land is also covered.

What is and isn't covered

EQCover for land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:

  • the land under your home and outbuildings (eg, shed or garage)
  • the land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • the land under or supporting your main accessway, up to 60 metres from your home (but not the driveway surfacing).

EQCover also provides some cover for:

  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect the home, outbuildings or insured land.

For landslip damage, your building is generally insured by EQC up to a maximum of $100,000 (+ GST) and is covered on a replacement value basis.

From 1 July 2019, EQCover increases for residential buildings from $100,000 (+ GST) to $150,000 (+ GST), affecting policy holders on the anniversary date of their existing policy (which is generally the annual renewal date), or if you take out a new policy.

What is and isn't covered

Click on the highlights below to see what is and what is not covered by EQC.

  • ×

    Trees and gardens are not covered

  • ×

    Landscaping (non-structural walls) is not covered

  • ×

    Water, drainage, sewerage, gas and underground electricity and telephone lines are covered by the building claim (so long as they are owned by the homeowner)

  • ×

    Land within 60 metres of the house which forms the main access way is covered. Any artificial surface like asphalt or concrete is not covered

  • ×

    Retaining walls that are necessary for the support or protection of the house or the access way are covered. Bridges and culverts that are within 8 metres of your house (or up to 60 metres if they form part of the main access way) are also covered

  • ×

    Any damage to the house's foundations is covered by the building claim (not the land claim)

  1.  Land covered by EQC
  2.  Land not covered by EQC


Certain items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways, aren’t covered. However, we do cover the removal of debris from your insured land, such as fallen trees.

Find out more

See the Householders' Guide to EQCover to find out more about what isn't covered.

If you own a farm or rural property which has been damaged following a natural disaster, read our guide Damage to your farm following a natural disaster - what's covered by EQC. It explains what EQC covers and doesn't cover, and sets out specific issues to be aware of.

For more information about what we cover and how they are assessed, read our guide Land: What EQC covers. It explains what areas of land are covered by EQCover.

For more information about structures on land read our guide Land structures - retaining walls, bridges and culverts

How much can be paid out

EQCover pays the lesser of either:

  • the cost to repair the damaged land, or
  • the value of the damaged land, or the value of 4,000m2, or the value of the minimum-sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the lower.

Bridges, culverts, and retaining walls that support the home or insured land are covered by EQCover for indemnity value. This means the valuation takes into account their age and state of repair.


The excess for a land claim is 10% of the amount payable for the land claim, but with:

  • a minimum of $500 for each home in the building on which the land is situated, and
  • a maximum of $5,000.

Private insurance cover

In general, private insurers don't cover land damage.

However, your private insurer may cover some items that aren’t covered by EQCover. For example, some private insurers offer limited cover for driveway resurfacing and repairs to landscaping or gardens.

Check your policy or contact your private insurance company.

Page last updated: