Skip navigation

Storm or flood damage: What we cover

If your home, or the surrounding land, has been damaged by a storm or flood, here are a few things you need to know: 

  • We will cover any damage to your insured residential land only. 
  • Your private insurer will cover any damage to your home according to the terms of your private insurance policy. They may also provide additional cover (above any EQC entitlement) for some land structures, e.g. retaining walls.

If a landslip has also occurred, we will cover any damage to your home or the surrounding land, which has been caused by the landslip. 

What kind of land is covered?

We insure a defined area of land surrounding your home and within your land holding if you have a: 

  • current private insurance policy for your home that includes fire insurance (and most do), or 
  • direct EQC insurance policy.

We call this your ‘residential land’. 

Residential land is the land:  

  • under your home (or under any insured outbuildings such as a shed or a garage) 
  • within eight metres of your home and outbuildings 
  • under or supporting your main access way, within 60 metres of your home. 

Residential land also includes any: 

  • bridges and culverts within the above land areas 
  • retaining walls and their support systems that are necessary to support or protect your home, outbuildings or the above land areas if they are within 60 metres of the house. 

In this definition we use the term ‘home’ while the EQC Act uses the term ‘dwelling’ to refer to any self-contained premises: 

  • that you are using as a home or holiday home, or  
  • that you can, and intend to, use as a home or holiday home. 

We don’t cover some items, e.g. any paving or other artificial surfaces such as concrete or asphalt, landscaping, bush, forest, trees, plants or lawns. 
How much am I covered for? 

The maximum amount of cover we provide for your residential land claim (commonly referred to as the ‘land cap’) is calculated in two parts:  

  • the market value at the site of damage which is determined by the smallest of the following three areas:
  1. the area of land that is actually lost or damaged 
  2. the minimum-sized site for a residential building allowed under the District Plan in the area you live (if applicable) 
  3. an area of land of 4,000 square metres 


  • the indemnity value of any insured bridges, culverts or retaining walls that have been lost or damaged.

How much can be paid?

The maximum amount we can pay for your residential land claim is the lesser of either: 

  • the land cap (as above), or 
  • the cost to repair or reinstate the insured residential land that has been lost or damaged. 

Making a claim

The timeframe for lodging an EQC claim is two years. However, it is recommended that you lodge a claim within three months of the damage occurring. Where a claim is lodged outside of three months, it will be subject to additional consideration, which may result in the claim being declined. The longer it takes to lodge a claim, the more difficult it can be to confirm the damage is related to the natural disaster. 

Click here to find out more about making a claim. 

For more information 

Click here for more information on ‘residential land cover’, including ‘How much am I covered for?’ and “How much can be paid?”: