EQCover for Jan and Feb 2023 North Island severe weather
Homeowners and communities affected by the North Island severe weather in early 2023 (Cyclone Gabrielle and Auckland floods) can find EQCover information and links to other resources on this page.
Response organisations and stakeholders supporting homeowners and communities can also find information here.
Information for homeowners
Our Storm, flood and landslip damage: What we cover page outlines:
- what EQCover includes for storm, flood and landslip damage to homes and / or residential land
- how much is covered by EQCover
- the claim process (steps involved and settlement), which is managed by your insurer.
Your insurer will manage your entire insurance claim, including any EQCover portion on our behalf.
Resources for homeowners
- Information sheet: EQCover claims for storm, flood and landslip damage summarises EQCover information and includes more information about the council responsibility.
- The EQCover Land Claims factsheet (external link)has more information on the land cap, as well as the process and who's involved in a land claim.
- The Land Cover Storms and Floods factsheet summarises information relating to land claims on this page and includes types of land damage.
- The Householders' Guide to Residential Land covers how EQCover works for residential land, what is and isn't covered, and what to do following a natural disaster.
Risk categories for North Island properties
Information relating to property risk categories (or “land categorisation”), announced by the government and councils on 1 June 2023, can be found here:
Consultation with homeowners and communities is being managed by councils.
The Insurance Council of New Zealand’s Disaster Recovery page(external link) indicates what a category may mean for an insurance claim, as well as ongoing insurance.
Information for response organisations and stakeholders
To support response organisations and stakeholders helping homeowners and communities recover from Cyclone Gabrielle and Auckland floods, we’ve created a resource that organisations can use to inform their communities about EQCover.
Organisations are invited to use, republish and speak to the information in this resource, as needed:
- EQCover community information – North Island severe weather has information and messages around EQCover insurance to support communities.
- The EQCover - Quick reference guide [JPG, 338 KB] summarises cover for landslip damage, silt and debris, and land scour/evacuation.