Making improvements as part of a renovation
If you’re thinking about renovating your home, consider improving its resilience at the same time. Making upgrades as part of a planned renovation, rather than separately, could save you money, time and effort. For example, if you need to remove wall linings it might be a good time to check on and improve the wall bracing.
Consider this work alongside your renovation:
- Checking timber foundations are in good condition, well secured and braced
- Removing unreinforced brick or concrete masonry chimneys that extend above the roofline
- Changing your roof to lightweight material that is well fastened to framing
- Replacing heavy exterior wall cladding (for example, brick veneer) with a lightweight option.
- Checking retaining walls are in good condition (including clearing weep holes) and designed and built to a standard that is fit-for-purpose
Our Homeowners section has more details.