You are here

Building cover

Under EQCover, your residential building is generally insured for a maximum amount of $150,000 (+ GST).

We use the term ‘home’ or ‘building’ while the EQC Act uses the term ‘dwelling’ to refer to any self-contained premises used, or capable of being and intended to be used, as a home or holiday home.

Dollar symbol

How much can be paid out

The settlement amount is calculated in one of three ways.

More on settlement

EQCover for a building is the least of the following:

  1. Any replacement sum for which your building is insured against fire by your private insurer; or
  2. Any amount specified in your private insurance policy for which your building is insured under the Earthquake Commission Act; or
  3. The amount arrived at by multiplying the maximum EQCover amount by the number of homes in the residential building.

If your private insurance policy specifies an amount for which your building is insured under the Earthquake Commission Act, that amount must be no less than the amount arrived at by multiplying $1,000 or $2,500 (depending on when you took out or renewed your policy) by the area in square metres of the residential building.

If you incur GST repairing your property, the GST amount will also be paid.

If your loss is greater than the amount that is paid under EQCover, please talk to your private insurer.

Icon of an apartment building

Flats and apartments

A building may contain more than one home and is generally eligible for the maximum EQCover amount multiplied by the number of homes in the building.

More on multiple homes

If you own a building – or part of a building – with multiple homes in it, you must inform your insurance company of the number of homes in the building. Otherwise, you will have cover for only one home.

Icon of a large stack and small stack of coins


The EQC excess for a claim on a home is one percent of the amount payable for the EQCover claim, with a minimum of $200 multiplied by the number of dwellings in the building.

More on excess

From 1 July 2019, EQC will no longer cover contents, affecting policy holders on the anniversary date of their existing policy (which is generally the annual renewal date), or if you take out a new policy.

Icon of clipboard, pen and paper with ticks

What is and isn't included

EQCover may also cover sheds and garages, and water and electrical service pipes and cables.

More on what's included

As well as your home, EQCover includes cover for:

  • separate buildings or structures that are “used by the household of the occupier” (e.g. sheds and garages)
  • services that you own (e.g. water pipes and electrical cables) up to 60 metres from your home.

EQCover doesn't cover:

  • a building that wasn’t insured against fire at the time of the natural disaster
  • a building for which the private insurance policy had lapsed or been cancelled at the time of the natural disaster
  • ‘consequential’ losses that might occur after a natural disaster – such as theft or vandalism
  • the cost of staying somewhere else temporarily after an earthquake or natural disaster.

See the Householders' Guide to EQCover to find out more.


Private insurance cover

Your private insurance may cover items that aren’t covered by EQCover: check your policy or contact your private insurer to find out.

Conditional building consents

Some property owners have an entry on their Record of Title which indicates that the land is likely to be subject to specified natural hazards. This can affect your EQCover and cover from your private insurer: read about conditional building consents to find out more.

Page last updated: