You are here

Land cover

Land damage is considered separately from building damage and explained on this page.

If your home is damaged by a landslip you are generally insured by EQC up to the maximum explained on the building cover page.

EQCover for land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:

  • the land under your home and outbuildings (e.g. shed or garage)
  • the land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • the land under or supporting your main accessway, up to 60 metres from your home (but not the driveway surfacing).

EQCover also provides some cover for:

  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect the home, outbuildings or insured land.
Icon of a tree on land

What items on the land are covered

An infographic to help you find out more about land cover.

More on items covered

What is and isn't covered

Click on the highlights below to see what is and what is not covered by EQC.

Trees and gardens
Trees and gardens are not covered
Landscaping (non-structural walls) is not covered
Water, drainage
Water, drainage, sewerage, gas and underground electricity and telephone lines are covered by the building claim (so long as they are owned by the homeowner)
Land within 60 metres
Land within 60 metres of the house which forms the main access way is covered. Any artificial surface like asphalt or concrete is not covered
Retaining walls
Retaining walls that are necessary for the support or protection of the house or the access way are covered. Bridges and culverts that are within 8 meters of your house (or up to 60 metres if they form part of the main access way) are also covered.
Any damage to the house's foundations is covered by the building claim (not the land claim)
  • Land covered by EQC
  • Land not covered by EQC


Certain items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways, aren’t covered. However, we do cover the removal of debris from your insured land, such as fallen trees.

Dollar symbol icon

How much can be paid out?

EQC will pay the cost to repair the damaged land or the value of the land.

More on settlement

EQCover is generally paid by cash settling claims and pays the lesser of either:

  • the cost to repair the damaged land (less excess) or
  • the value of the damaged land plus indemnity value of any bridges, culverts and retaining walls that support the home or insured land (less excess). 

The maximum amount EQCover can pay for the area of the damaged land is capped at the land value. This is because under the EQC Act, EQCover cannot pay any more than what the damaged land is worth.


The excess for a land claim is 10% of the amount payable for the land claim, but with:

  • a minimum of $500 for each home in the building on which the land is situated, and
  • a maximum of $5,000.

Private insurance cover

In general, private insurers don't cover land damage.

However, your private insurer may cover some items that aren’t covered by EQCover. For example, some private insurers offer limited cover for driveway resurfacing and repairs to landscaping or gardens.

Check your policy or contact your private insurance company for more information.


Page last updated: