Skip navigation

Land cover

If you have EQCover, then some of your residential land is also covered.

EQCover for land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:

  • the land under your home and outbuildings (e.g. shed or garage)
  • the land within eight metres of your home and outbuildings
  • the land under or supporting your main accessway, up to 60 metres from your home (but not the driveway surfacing).

EQCover also provides some cover for:

  • bridges and culverts within the above areas
  • some retaining walls that are necessary to support or protect the home, outbuildings or insured land.
kaikoura land damage web

What items on the land are covered

An infographic to help you find out more about land cover.

land cover infog web


Certain items on the land, such as trees, plants, lawn and driveways, aren’t covered. However, we do cover the removal of debris from your insured land, such as fallen trees.

See the Householders' Guide to Residential Land [PDF, 907 KB] to find out more

How much can be paid out?

EQCover claims are generally cash settled. For residential land, EQCover will pay the lesser of either:

  • the cost to repair or reinstate the damaged land (less excess), or
  • the EQCover land cap (less excess). 

EQCover land cap

Under the EQC Act, the maximum amount of EQCover for your residential land claim is capped at the land value, because EQCover cannot pay any more than what the damaged land is worth.

This is commonly referred to as the EQCover “land cap”, and is calculated in two parts:

  1. the market value of the damaged or lost insured land (or other smaller specified area of land), and
  2. the indemnity value of the damaged insured land structures (e.g. bridges, culverts and retaining walls).

More information, including how the market value is determined, is available in our Householders’ Guide to Residential Land.

We also have the following factsheets available:


The excess for a land claim is 10% of the amount payable for the land claim, but with:

  • a minimum of $500 for each home in the building situated on the land, and
  • a maximum of $5,000.

Private insurance cover

In general, private insurers don't cover land damage.

However, your private insurer may cover some items that aren’t covered by EQCover. For example, some private insurers offer limited cover for driveway resurfacing and repairs to landscaping or gardens.

Check your policy or contact your private insurance company for more information.