Skip navigation

Drainage claims

Earthquake damage relating to drainage can take several years to appear. You can ask to reopen a claim to repair drainage damage caused by the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquake sequence if you have previously had an EQCover claim, or have had an EQCover claim transferred to you for a property you’ve purchased.

Hear from a Canterbury homeowner about how their drainage claim was managed by the Toka Tū Ake EQC team.

Play video

The information provided on this webpage is specific to the Canterbury events and in accordance with the detailed provisions of the Earthquake Commission (EQC) Act 1993 (the Act) current at the time.

After contacting Toka Tū Ake EQC to reopen a drainage claim, your next step is to commission a registered drainlayer (registered with the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers’ Board) to inspect your drains and provide their report to Toka Tū Ake EQC.